Sunday, April 10, 2011

Opportunities to do good

While finding the video for this post, I suddenly realized how many times President Eyring spoke at conference. I couldn't imagine preparing that many talks. At least he had  months to do so. I love listening to him speak.


This particular talk is about service. About helping others in need. If you are having a selfish kind of day, please take the 20 minutes and sit and listen.I loved this talk. You can get the text here if you would prefer to read it. It is well worth your time.


 It is so inspiring.




My husband and I are constantly trying to make sure our efforts are in helping the PEOPLE that we come in contact with. Not obsessing over the programs are supposed to run. People are more important than programs. Thus this quote about the church welfare program struck me as profound. He was talking about the different names of the welfare program in times past then he said "The names and the details of operation are changed to fit the needs and conditions of people." Note they don't try to get people to work within the program. The program is what gives.

This song is one of my personal favorites. I enjoy that he quoted it.

Have I done any good in the world today?

Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love. 1

Ya know, some days I have failed indeed. I'm working on that. Though, now that I think about it. Sometimes I need to give myself more credit for what I do around my home. I always think these kind of things are for people I don't live with. Yes, I should be mindful of other people outside my home too. However, maybe I am doing good even just serving my children some days.

I can personally tell you this is true. "I have seen the blessings that come to the person in need who receives help and to the person who seizes the opportunity to give it." Isn't it great how God blesses both parties?

Quick personal note here. He mentions the Teton Dam breaking in 1976 in Rexburgh Idaho. That is where my mom lived at that time. She and her mother ( my grandma) had been on vacation when that happened. They came back 5 days after it was over. They found my grandma's house had been lifted from the foundation, twisted and set back down. My mom had served a mission in Japan for 18 months prior to this event. She was sad to find that the ceremonial kimono she had bought  had been bled all over by the deep red sash that went with it. My mother can also testify of all the miracles and service that she saw in the clean up.

Great temporal needs of the children of Heavenly Father have come again in our time as they have and as they will in all times. The principles at the foundation of the Church welfare program are not for only one time or one place. They are for all times and all places.


I have found this also to be true in my life-
President Marion G. Romney said of welfare work, “You cannot give yourself poor in this work.” And then he quoted his mission president, Melvin J. Ballard, this way: “A person cannot give a crust to the Lord without receiving a loaf in return.”



I have found that to be true in my life. When I am generous to Heavenly Father’s children in need, He is generous to me.
I even mentioned this on my own a while back. If you want to read it again here is a little example. You really can't out give God. I have given away clothes and food and help, you always end up with surprises in the end.



Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment