Thursday, April 28, 2011

Update on violets

So we made the violet jelly. As far as I can tell it tastes.... sweet. That is what happens when you make jam and it includes lots of sugar.

It started off as a beautiful shade of  Kool-Aid blue. Then we added the lemon juice, beautiful dark lavender.  Boiling it at that stage was just really neat to watch the colors.

So after processing it in the canner we got.... um.... honey?

Not sure of the flavor yet. It seriously looks like it turned the color of honey. I think I cooked it too long. I hope I didn't kill the flavor too. It almost looks like there is just pure amber inside those jars.

Now I get to sit back and listen to the jars pop. I love that sound so much.

1 comment:

  1. Glad it's not 'violent' jam.... :) im guessing the lemon juice and processing helped with with massive colour change?

    ReplyDelete