Friday, April 29, 2011

The "P" word

I have a lovely young lady living in my home. She is my eldest daughter. Full of personality that one.

Yesterday was "take your kids to work day". So she and her brothers went to go wash cars, answer phones and check in and out cars with their dad.

My husband's boss is INCREDIBLY generous. I can give you example after example. Last year and this year also, the children (including the baby who stayed home) each received a gift bag of fun things to play with. Coloring stuff, silly bands, bubbles, puzzles (1,000 piece), etc. This year among the goodies was included a squirt gun. They were THRILLED and needed to use them immediately.

So into the bathroom they rushed. While in there Naomi had a realization.

"Dad, this gun looks like the end of a penis." Loud enough that the two young ladies and young man that my husband works with can hear her.



This is not our first incident with penis discussions, oh no. At one point it seemed like the only topic of discussion around here. After many talks about how we do not need to talk about penises all the time I wound up at this point-

Sitting there eating lunch calmly with my kids. Out of nowhere comes the comment-
N: Let's not talk about penises.
Me: Good plan.
End of conversation.

While she was still in serious discussion mode we had a few friends over. Each one of them at some point would be either declared to have a penis or not depending on their gender. She really knows how to make you feel right at home.

I am glad we went through that rough stage. I am glad that she knows what it is; no mystery. I am also glad that stage seems to be mostly over.

No comments:

Post a Comment