Friday, April 22, 2011

Double Feature

Due to the fact that I am now taking talks from the Priesthood session, I am going to put two talks up today. They are both great, but mostly directed to priesthood holders. The second talk, in my opinion, is very much worth your while to listen or read.

Elder Anderson's talk is focused mainly on young men preparing to leave on a mission. Yes, there are good things in there. But a lot of it is only loosely applicable. You can find the Text here.



I will give you this bit to think about -Have you ever thought about why you were sent to earth at this specific time? You were not born during the time of Adam and Eve or while pharaohs ruled Egypt or during the Ming dynasty. You have come to earth at this time, 20 centuries after the first coming of Christ. The priesthood of God has been restored to the earth, and the Lord has set His hand to prepare the world for His glorious return. These are days of great opportunity and important responsibilities. These are your days.


There is also a cool story about a rugby player. I'm not into rugby, but it was still a neat story.


Next up, hope. Read it here.

I admit it, I was surprised at how much I learned from this talk.

Our hopes can lead to dreams which can inspire us and lead us to action.....Hope can inspire dreams and spur us to realize those dreams. Hope alone, however, does not cause us to succeed. Many honorable hopes have gone unfulfilled, shipwrecked on the reefs of good intentions and laziness.

I love the imagery here. Elder Russell M. Nelson has taught that “‍ is rooted in Jesus Christ. ‍ centers in the Atonement. ‍ is manifest in the ‘pure love of Christ.’ These three attributes are intertwined like strands in a cable and may not always be precisely distinguished. Together they become our tether to the celestial kingdom”

He then told a story of a woman who tried to travel from England to Salt Lake in hopes of being with her family in Zion. It was a lovely story. I like the quote he gave after talking about her struggles. The spiritual journeys of today require no less hope or faith than those of the early pioneers. Our challenges may be different, but the struggles are just as great.

1 comment:

  1. Steven Snow was my mission president--I just LOVE that man!

    ReplyDelete