Thursday, April 14, 2011

On to the colds!

Let me start this with a disclaimer. I am NOT a Doctor. I am NOT a knowledgeable herbalist. I am someone who is LEARNING how to use herbs. I have taken a few classes. I have done a bit of reading. I do grow some herbs.

I also want you to understand that for every ailment there is a literal LIST of herbs that can be beneficial. On the other hand, every  herb has a list of problems that it can help treat. I firmly believe that due to different chemical make up in different people, different herbs are more effective for different people.( I was just seeing how many times I could put different in a sentence. I think 4 is pretty impressive.)

According to my Book 'o Herbs, also known as "Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs" the following plants can be used to treat colds:



  • Catnip
  • Cayenne Pepper
  • Chamomile
  • Deadly nightshade ( ok so it is on this list, but I will tell you that there are incredible amounts of warnings regarding use of this plant. Though if you go to the eye doctor the drops he puts in your eyes to dilate is derived from the juice of the berries of the nightshade.)
  • Eucalyptus
  • Garlic
  • Licorice
  • Mint
  • Rose
  • Sage

OK, so  there are more than I have listed here, but those require someone with more knowledge and time than I have right now. I want you to also keep in mind that the medicinal part of the plant differs from plant to plant. Roses, the hips are used, mint the leaves,  garlic it is the cloves, licorice the root. You have to find out what part of the plant is worth anything.

One of the most effective ways to use a plant is to make an "infusion". Generally we call this tea. True tea comes from plants in the tea family, black tea, green tea etc. The rest of it are just herbal infusions.  (if you are familiar with the  word of wisdom, that is why we can drink herbal teas.)

To make an hot water infusion/tea you simply: Take the herb of your choice (generally the leaves or flowery tops) put it in a cup or mason jar. Then pour boiling water over the plant material. Cover, let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Most plants need that much time to truly get the medicinal qualities into the drink. Strain out the herbs, sweeten to your liking. Honey is the most recommended route,as it in and of itself is healthy for you also.

Note- Fresh mints do not handle boiling water well. You are better making more of a sun tea with fresh mint. Though dried will work just fine in hot water.

You can make more than you need at a time and refrigerate for up to 4 days, freezing up to 3 months.

If catnip was your choice of remedy for the moment, it would surprise me.
Parts used- leaves and flowers.
To use- make a tea.
Word of caution- Increases menstrual flow. Do NOT use when pregnant.
It also happens to be a good sedative.

Cayenne pepper-
This stuff is FANTASTIC for sore throats. I speak from personal experience. If you have a killer sore throat. Put some cayenne powder in a bit of hot water. You don't want to make a lot. Drink it. I recommend having something like orange juice nearby to chase the flavor. It will BURN the whole way down your throat. It will kill what ever is giving you problems.
I would not recommend sipping a cup of tea made from cayenne.


Chamomile-
Part used -Flower
How to use- tea
This book does not say it is bad for those who are pregnant. However, during my class the other night, the teacher said to avoid any herb that is described as thinning the blood or helping with menstrual cramps. Chamomile is listed to ease menstrual cramping. So I would use with caution.
It is also noted here to commonly effect people who have pollen allergies, due to the fact that is uses the flower.

Deadly Nightshade-
Strangely enough is in the same family that contains tomatoes, eggplants, potatoes and peppers.
Atropa Belladonna is the scientific name. They believe it comes from the Italian meaning "beautiful woman". It is said that the Italian women would take a drop of the plants berries in their eyes to dilate them to look more beautiful at the parties.
I only included it on the list because of the cool pupil dilatation. Really, everything there is to read about it says "don't use this plant". Honestly I don't even know where you would find one.

Eucalyptus-
Part used- oil or leaves
Do NOT apply undiluted to skin. Mix with water or veg. oil then apply to skin to help with respiratory problems. You could also inhale steam laced with the oil to help with breathing problems.
Leaves can be used to make a tea also. You can drink the tea or put it in a vaporizer.

Garlic-
The particular component that makes garlic smell so strongly is the same thing that destroys of inhibits bacteria, fungi, and yeast. It is called allicin. Allicin is, in its antibacterial power, equal to 1% penicillin. To get the allicin you have to crush the clove, thus causing the chemical reaction. Cooking it reduces its potency.
For respiratory illnesses there are several different ways. One recommendation, I kid you not, is to put a clove in your shoe. They say you can absorb the benefits through your sole. They also say to take a tsp of garlic syrup. ( To make a syrup crush the garlic then mix with honey.) The oils help open your lungs.
I have had infections and sinus problems. I can tell you personally garlic has been a help. I recommend garlic.Plus it is so easy to get a hold of.

Licorice-
Most of the licorice that you get is actually anise. True licorice is MUCH stronger flavored than the anise substitute.
Part used- root
How to use- Due to the fact that it is the root you are using an infusion/ tea would not work very well. In this case you want to make a "decoction". Meaning you simmer the root uncovered in water for 45 mins to an hour. 10 oz water for every 1oz root. Strain, and discard root. You must use it within 4 days/or freeze it. If you don't it could ferment. (This goes for all decoctions, not just licorice.)
This also has a note to be used for menstrual cramping. If we follow my teachers rule that means stay away if you are pregnant. Do NOT drink licorice tea when expecting.

Mint-
This is literally one of the easiest plants to grow. Though you want to keep it contained. I am talking barriers FEET deep in the ground. They will spread everywhere.
Part used- leaves and stems.
Peppermint contains 50-78% menthol. Menthol is the oil that is beneficial. I love spearmint's flavor best, but it contains no menthol.
How to use- dried leaves in a tea. A sprig in warm milk can help relax muscles. Though milk is a poor choice when you already have mucus issues, as milk helps produce more mucus.
This also says it helps with menstraul cramps. Though I have never heard that anyone should stay away from peppermint when pregnant before.
My teacher brings in chocolate mint. It is the highest of the mints in anti-viral properties. It truly smells like chocolate and the stems are almost a brown color. It is really weird.

Rose-
Part used- rose hips, the "fruit" of the plant. They are SUPER rich in vitamin C.
How to use-make an infusion. You can just drink, or you can gargle to help a sore throat.

Sage-
Part used-Leaves
Sage contains antiseptic and astringent properties. It is really useful for treating sore throats and mouth irritaions.
How to use- Make a tea, drink or gargle.
It also says that it can lower a diabetics blood sugar levels. So if you are diabetic, don't drink this if you are concerned about lowering your sugar.

 Hope you got something out of it. I guess I just like writting research papers without getting a grade on them. I like herbs.

4 comments:

  1. Might want to mention that parsley, sage, Rosemary, and thyme (just like the song) have capabilities to produce uterine contractions and are not advised while pregnant. Not sure which form though, but I just stayed away from stuffing during my pregnancies. Very informative post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you meant that chocolate mint actually smells like CHOCOLATE (you said mint...well, duh!)

    That said, if you can get raw local honey it is A) both a lot healthier for you B) supports your local honey and farming industries, and C) can actually help with allergies and hay fever, since it is using the local things that are in YOUR air. Plus it tastes really good!
    I actually just read a study that showed that taking a spoonful of honey was MORE effective at helping coughs than ANY cough syrup! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Marie, I changed that. You were correct, I did mean to say chocolate. When I get some I'll bring some out to you if you would like.

    Also, Ethan's dad was an apiary for a while. His uncle now runs the whole thing. Kinda crazy. I am personally trying to eat more honey and less sugar. Somethings just taste better with sugar to me.

    Thank you Karen, I was unaware of that. As I said, I am not an expert. Sounds like you paid more attention to those lists of things not to eat than I did. I am so bad sometimes at paying attention to those warnings. I would imagine that you would be ok using them as seasonings, just not in quantities for medicinal use. However, don't sue me if you have a problem.

    I love rosemary so much.

    Doesn't it look terrible that I removed a comment? I just mispelled something and it wouldn't let me edit.

    ReplyDelete