Thursday, April 21, 2011

If you are looking for some joy

This talk really helped put certain things in perspective for me. If you don't have time to listen to the whole thing, you can read the text here.




I really liked the story of the young gold prospector from Boston. Some days I think I am looking for the nuggets instead of appreciating the flakes. I just look right on past the little things.

This line made me smile-Brothers and sisters, the gospel of Jesus Christ is simple, no matter how much we try to make it complicated.


But isn't it so much more glamorous to help people outside of our homes? First, charity begins at home. The single most important principle that should govern every home is to practice the Golden Rule—the Lord’s admonition that “all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them” (Matthew 7:12). Take a moment and imagine how you would feel if you were on the receiving end of thoughtless words or actions. By our example, let us teach our family members to have love one for another. I think we have all been at the receiving end of thoughtless words or actions. They hurt. Sadly, I know I have been the giver of thoughtlessness on occasion.

 President Thomas S. Monson has counseled:

“The needs of others are ever present, and each of us can do something to help someone.
… Unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives." I think service also helps give us perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment