Thursday, July 14, 2011

Why have kids?

Sometimes when I talk to other people they don't seem to understand what being a mom is like.

Some days I don't know if I know what being a mom is supposed to be like.

It leads me back to a question that I mull over in my mind now and again.

Why have children?

Seriously, why?

Kids are so-
  • Messy
  • Tactless
  • Expensive
  • Destructive
  • Demanding
  • NOISY
  • Frustrating
This list just scratches the surface of negative things that kids can be.

Some of the reasons I like having kids are-
  • They teach me so much.
  • They help me improvise.
  • They are funny.
  • I can teach them. Watching the world through new eyes changes things.
  • They put things in perspective.
  • They question why.
  • They love.
Yet again, this list just scratches the surface. I could literally go on and on about why I love having kids in my home. Even on a day when I feel so overwhelmed I would start bawling if someone took them away.

 Kids can teach love, and forgiveness. Children can be hysterical. Youth can simply enrich a life to an inexpressible level. Here is the trick though....

You have to let them.

You have to be willing to learn from them. You have to allow yourself to laugh with them. You have to accept their great examples of forgiveness and love.

They are not small adults. They are also not horrible burdens sent from God. They are children. Sweet, innocent, occasionally conniving, love needing children. If allowed to work their magic they can transform. Not only themselves but those around them too.

Let children be the blessings that they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment