Friday, July 29, 2011

Blazing Stars!

I have a tendency to miss things. I hear "the fields are just full of this blazing stars in July. It would be really worth your while to go see them." I think to myself, "You're right. I wold love to go see that." Then I remember when it is August.

There is a nature reserve near my home. It has a prairie section. If you are a nature conservationist that is really exciting to you. Doesn't mean much to me, just says you won't really find these particular plants other places in the area. I did however, want to see these much lauded flower. So fearing I had missed the peak my husband and I packed up the children and went for a walk. We were not disappointed.





The height is actually late July/August. I didn't miss it! They were beautiful. Due to the fact that prairies grow really tall grass, it looked like my kids were walking in a jungle. Nearly all the vegetation was over their heads. Even the blazing stars are taller than most of my children and quite possibly myself.



It was beautiful. In my neighborhood we don't see butterflies very often. While we were there we saw so many. We could watch honey bees and bumble bees hard at work right there at eye level, completely oblivious that they had an audience. I loved watching my kids amazement and excitement when spotting different animals or plants.

 

It was a very cool experience. I can't wait to take my kids back. I will remember to take allergy medication and not examine the goldenrod quite so closely next time though. I am so glad we made that trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment