Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Today I tackled a big project. I didn't realize it would be as big as it turned out to be.


Today I removed seeds from raspberries to make seedless jam.


It was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Let me walk you through my progression so you do not make the same mistakes I did today.

  1. I started with a spoon and a colander. I did approximately 1 cup worth, realised I had 1 1/2 gallons and was never going to make it through all of them.
  2. I called my brother in law for tips. He said mash them up and then drain them in cheese clothe. Well... um. the the juice didn't really drip through hardly at all. And the seeds can escape if you try to squeeze the bag. I let it sit for hours. I gave up.
  3. I looked on line for suggestions.
  4. I ripped open all my cheese clothe bags and dumped it in a pot where I warmed it all up.
  5. Then I poured it into an old nylon stocking. It worked great. The juice was just coming right out.
  6. I realised it was coming out so quickly because there was a hole in the toe. Seeds and all were spilling out.
  7. I then got a knee high stocking and poured hot mashed raspberries inside. This did in fact work well and there was no surprise in the end.
I started around 9 am. I finished at about 6 pm. But look what I got done!

The dark one on the right is mulberry juice.

So if you ever decide to make raspberry jam and don't want the seeds follow these steps-


  1. Stick fruit in blender, blend well.
  2. Pour in pot. Warm.You don't want to burn it, so stir if fairly often.
  3. Get a knee high stocking wet, wring out water. (this prevents the sock from sucking up the fruit juice.)
  4.  Pour fruit in a knee high stocking.
  5. Twist around once it starts to cool off. Squeeze all you can out.

Once I figured that out it went pretty quick. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment