Monday, July 4, 2011

My take on canning

I was raised in a home where each summer we were subjected to canning. We canned pears, peaches, grape juice, cherries, chicken, beets, green beans, lots of green beans. I can't say I really enjoyed it. I probably was a real brat about the whole thing.

Now I am on my own, I still can. Though I do go to other more experienced persons for help. As I have been married for 8 years now and have done a bit of canning each year in my own kitchen of my own desire these are my observations on home canning.

Reasons why I detest canning-
  • It is almost always really hot. Either the actual day, or how my kitchen feels by the end.
  • The amount of time it takes.
  • It takes over my entire kitchen.
  • The canner is LOUD.
  • It is never really a one day job. I always have to let the jars sit over night before washing and putting them away.
  • It is almost always something that needs to be canned soon or it will go bad.
  • How precise the procedure for canning somethings are.
  • The rest of the house falls apart while I work.

Reasons why I love canning -
  • Listening to the pop of the lids on the jars.
  • Knowing I accomplished something worthwhile.
  • Looking at those beautiful bottles on my shelf in the end.
Those 3 reasons alone will keep me canning for a long time. Once you make it to the last step, it is so incredibly rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment