Tuesday, October 25, 2011

TIme marches on

This is one of the talks that stuck with me most from Conference. It is an area of weakness for me. You can read the text here.


I sincerely loved this talk. It was very much meant for me. I hope you get something from it that will help in your life.
Time is never for sale; time is a commodity that cannot, try as you may, be bought at any store for any price. Yet when time is wisely used, its value is immeasurable. On any given day we are all allocated, without cost, the same number of minutes and hours to use, and we soon learn, as the familiar hymn so carefully teaches, “Time flies on wings of lightning; we cannot call it back.”

I found this to be an intimidating thought. What if I were called in to account for what I have done wiht my time? President Brigham Young said, “We are all indebted to God for the ability to use time to advantage, and he will require of us a strict account of [its] disposition”

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf reminded us that “in family relationships love is really spelled t-i-m-e.This reminds me of the big thing in the world right now about "quality time". You can not schedule when your kid will get the guts to talk to you about something that is bothering them. You just need to be available when they are ready.

How sad it would be if the phone and computer, with all their sophistication, drowned out the simplicity of sincere prayer to a loving Father in Heaven. Let us be as quick to kneel as we are to text. LOVE that line.

I urge each of us to take those things which rob us of precious time and determine to be their master, rather than allowing them through their addictive nature to be the master of us.

Time marches swiftly forward to the tick of the clock. Today would be a good day, while the clock of mortality ticks, to review what we are doing to prepare to meet God. When I looked back over my general conference notes I found what I had written about this talk- "Am I using my time in mortality to prepare for immorality?"

1 comment:

  1. I loved this talk. Definitely an area I need to work on. I have discovered that when we have a no screen time day (including mommy), everything goes so much better, I'm more cheerful, and way more productive. You would think I would do it more often.

    ReplyDelete