Friday, October 21, 2011

My non stamp collection

I think this talk may have made some people a tad bit uncomfortable. It certainly isn't politically correct, not at this time when there is so much going on about over population. Cool thing is, God made this earth everybody was so concerned about. So if he says the earth can handle us all and we should keep having kids, I am going with his plan.

You can read the text of his talk here.

When a child is born to a husband and wife, they are fulfilling part of our Heavenly Father’s plan to bring children to earth. The Lord said, “This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.” Before immortality, there must be mortality. That part about mortality before immortality struck me as particularly profound.

I used this quote on Sunday for the class I was teaching.  “Where once the standards of the Church and the standards of society were mostly compatible, now there is a wide chasm between us, and it’s growing ever wider. … President Monson.

Many voices in the world today marginalize the importance of having children or suggest delaying or limiting children in a family. My daughters recently referred me to a blog written by a Christian mother (not of our faith) with five children. She commented: “[Growing] up in this culture, it is very hard to get a biblical perspective on motherhood. … Children rank way below college. Below world travel for sure. Below the ability to go out at night at your leisure. Below honing your body at the gym. Below any job you may have or hope to get.” She then adds: “Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for.” I love that!

“If you are concerned about providing financially for a wife and family, may I assure you that there is no shame in a couple having to scrimp and save. It is generally during these challenging times that you will grow closer together as you learn to sacrifice and to make difficult decisions.” -Monson
 
“Faithful members whose circumstances do not allow them to receive the blessings of eternal marriage and parenthood in this life will receive all promised blessings in the eternities, [as] they keep the covenants they have made with God.”

Families are central to God’s eternal plan. I testify of the great blessing of children and of the happiness they will bring us in this life and in the eternities. I can add my personal testimony about the happiness they bring to my life.

1 comment:

  1. My friend (who is also not of our faith, but she just had her 9th baby), posted this on facebook:

    The Bible calls children a blessing and debt a curse. Yet in our society we reject the blessing and apply for the curse!

    ReplyDelete