Friday, October 14, 2011

The great spaghetti mess

So while I had a fabulous chat with my cousin this morning Caleb and Phebe wasted no time.

They dumped 3 boxes of spaghetti, 1 marshmallow bag, 2 boxes of rice, 1 lasagna box, and a box of bow tie noodles. Some in the storage room ( that will get a lock as soon as I go shopping tomorrow). Some was dumped on the floor in the girl's room, on the bed, inside a toy box. And just to spice things up, let's open an old filing cabinet and throw some old documents in there.

I don't know if you have ever tried to clean a box of spaghetti off of a carpet. It is astoundingly difficult. In the end I step on them to crush it up and then vacuum.

I was mad. I was really mad. I thought I was angry at them. Though the prideful part of me tried to keep up that charade I knew what was really wrong. I was mad at myself. I should never have left them unsupervised for so long. I know Phebe WILL find something to get into. They left me alone. It was a huge warning sign.

Both of them were confined to their beds while I undertook the huge project of clean up. I am so grateful I have a vacuum. Cleaning dry broken spaghetti out of a carpet would have been so much harder without.

This will sound so strange, I know it seemed strange to me while it happened. The rice had been dumped into neat piles. While vacuuming it made the most satisfying sounds. And there was no mess left after. It was almost like a reward for taking care of all the other messes. It was similar to the sensation of popping bubble wrap.

I am sad that so much food and time was wasted. I am sad I allowed that situation to arise. I am sorry I let my temper get so heated.

I am grateful that I was able to finish up on such a pleasant note as vacuuming rice. I was able to gather my thoughts and move on with a better attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment