Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Looking up

Enjoy this incredibly uplifting talk. Follow the text here.  If you are feeling depressed or weighed down, please listen to this simple, sweet and profound message.


I can relate to this kind of moment-
At the end of a particularly tiring day toward the end of my first week as a General Authority, my briefcase was overloaded and my mind was preoccupied with the question “How can I possibly do this?” I left the office of the Seventy and entered the elevator of the Church Administration Building. As the elevator descended, my head was down and I stared blankly at the floor.

The door opened and someone entered, but I didn’t look up. As the door closed, I heard someone ask, “What are you looking at down there?” I recognized that voice—it was President Thomas S. Monson.


I quickly looked up and responded, “Oh, nothing.” (I’m sure that clever response inspired confidence in my abilities!)


But he had seen my subdued countenance and my heavy briefcase. He smiled and lovingly suggested, while pointing heavenward, “It is better to look up!” As we traveled down one more level, he cheerfully explained that he was on his way to the temple. When he bid me farewell, his parting glance spoke again to my heart, “Now, remember, it is better to look up.”


I was burdened and my head was down. As the prophet spoke, I looked to him. He redirected my focus to look up to God, where I could be healed and strengthened through Christ’s Atonement. That is what prophets do for us. They lead us to God. I don't know that I had ever thought of prophets in this way. I always defined them as God's spokesman on Earth. It was a new layer to me.

In order to be guided in life’s journey and have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, we must have a “hearing ear” and a “seeing eye,” both directed upward. We must act on the direction we receive. We must look up and step up. And as we do, I know we will cheer up, for God wants us to be happy.
During this talk he mentions some of the reasons as to why we might not look up. For me sometimes, I think just want to be mad for a little while. Or maybe I feel like my sorrow is justified and I am happy wallowing for a while. I will work harder on looking up, not enjoying my misery.
“Let us remember him, … and not hang down our heads,” for, as President Monson said, “It is better to look up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment