Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Violet Jelly, take 2.

Due to the fact that I finally got around to taking a picture I wanted to share these with you.

In order to make jam from violets you follow these steps-

  • Collect an astounding amount of violets, making sure none of your neighbors have any left.
  • Boil water.
  • Pour the boiling water over the violets and let it steep for hours.
  • Then you add the other ingredients in to make the jam.
  • Can it.
So I never got around to making my second try. I only made the infusion and then froze it. Here is what a frozen infusion of violets look like.


Pretty neat huh?  The recipe calls for lemon juice.  When you add that in it turns this awesome shade of purple. When you process it correctly, it looks violet.


When you let me process it incorrectly, it will look like honey in a jar.

I just wanted to share the one and only picture I had of the process. I was impressed by how dark the color turned out.

P.S. No I won't have awesome pictures later. That was my second try and it leaked out of the bag all over the refrigerator when I was "thawing" it. My egg cartons are now more purple than they were previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment