Friday, June 10, 2011

Whoops...

So my kids aren't always the most ...um... tactful human beings. We do not live in an area with a high population of African Americans. Here are two examples that I cringed at during and laughed at later.

While Victor was about 2 1/2, maybe 3 we were shopping for groceries. When we rounded the corner he spotted a man refilling the freezer case. Suddenly the yelling starts-
V: " Mom! That man is brown!"
Me: " Yes, yes he is."
He keeps yelling about it. The man looks up at him.
V: (completely surprised ) "He has eyes mom! Look at him! He has eyes!"
Me: "Yes, yes he does. So do you, and grandma and nearly every one else around us."
Luckily the man just kind of smirked about the whole thing.

Naomi had the following conversation with a black woman with a thick city accent helping her out of her rock climbing harness-
Woman : " I am so impressed! You did a great job! I underestimated you!"
Naomi: " Yea, I did a good job."
Woman :"It was really amazing. I didn't know you could do that."
N : " That's because you speak a different language."
Yet again, luckily she thought it was funny. We came back later and she was telling her co worker about the funny comment the little girl had made  to her.

I am glad people can just love kids and be amused by their ... less than politically correct comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment