Friday, June 10, 2011

Gratitude in a scary situation

Yesterday we were involved in a 3 car accident on a major highway. While merging together the person behind us hit us shoving us into the next car. The air bags deployed. We pulled over and from the car spilled 4 terrified children, a shaken mom and a father who was immediately making phone calls. There were no ambulances involved. Everyone seems to be OK.  Here are some of the things that I am really grateful for.

  • We were nearly stopped in traffic when it happened. I am so glad this was a low speed incident.
  • Phebe was facing forward. While she faces the rear, my seat sits much father up. I would have been slammed in the face with the airbag. As it was, it didn't even touch me.
  • Seat belts. Car seats. My family all strapped in.
  • No one was really hurt.
  • The bottles of water I had packed earlier. While sitting on the side of the highway in 90 degree weather it was the only thing that kept my toddler from panicking.
  • There was only a brief moment of screaming from the baby until we got out of the car. After that no one cried.
  •  There was grass to sit in instead of a cement barrier to stand against.
  • The random beach ball that was sitting in the grass they grabbed and played with.
  • The daisies my kids worked on collecting for me.
  • I had been to the chiropractor just that morning. I am glad my spine was already in pretty good shape when this all went down. (We went again this afternoon. The accident threw it all out of whack.) The Dr. said that it had saved me from having much more significant damage done.
  • We were on our way home from having a grand adventure. I am so glad it wasn't on the way to.
  • The very smiley tow truck driver who helped me pack everything up and carry it to the car. Turns out he is a friend of my husband's who has already done work on our car. He was so nice.
  • The sweet police officer who allowed all 6 of us to sit in the back of his air conditioned cruiser and drove us to a nice cool restaurant.
  • The other drivers involved were so kind.
  • My husband works with rental cars. One of his coworkers jumped right in a car and came on down to get us. Granted traffic was horrific so it took a while, but she was on her way immediately.
  • The kind manager of the restaurant who let us go into one of the little private party rooms to drink milk shakes and wait for our ride.
  • The person at fault has good insurance. (Last time we had something like this the other person didn't have any at all and we wound up having to fork over  the deductible  money and it wound up on our own insurance.)
  • My husband who rubbed my neck and back last night. It was lovely.
I knew there were a lot of things that went our way through all this. Writting it all down makes me realise just how much I really am grateful for. This situation could have been so much worse. God's hand is there in everything. So many details I would not have imagined on my own made this incident so much more bearable.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you and your whole famdango are well tonight. Accidents are scary.

    ReplyDelete