Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer evening

One advantage to living where we do is lightning bugs. Or fireflies if you prefer. They are seriously awesome. The highlight of the summer.

I am not sure what is going on in my next door neighbor's yard, but she literally has hundreds of them. It is incredible. We caught a jar full last night.

I realise it is hard to understand this picture. This is a Mason jar filled with about 40 fireflies. The spots that looks yellowish are where the insects are glowing.




There is nothing more awesome than a warm evening at twilight catching these things. They are easy to catch and don't bite or scratch or sting.

Due to the difficult nature of catching a good picture, I opted to attempt a video. I don't know that it is particularly great, but it gives you a pretty good idea of what is going on all around us.


Somethings just make me so happy. I don't think it will matter how old I get, lightning bugs will make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment