Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A drop of mint

I have been venturing into the realm of essential oils lately. I think it is incredibly fascinating. Essential oils are the oils from plants, generally collected through a distillation process which retain the plants properties.

I think it is so cool. Here are just a couple things I wanted to share with you.

That annoying cough can be taken care of pretty easily. It will sound silly, and though there are places that say "works 100% of the time!" I won't make that claim. I firmly believe that certain things work more effectively for certain people.

Back to that cough, Vicks Vaporub. Yes, rubbing it on your chest can be helpful. But rubbing it on the soles of your feet is more so. Right before bed put someone your feet, then put socks on. (That is so you don't get your sheets gross.)

Interestingly since Vick's ingredients are-
Active

  • Camphor
  • Eucalyptus
  • Menthol

Inactive-

  • Cedarleaf oil
  • Nutmeg oil
  • Special Petrolatum
  • Thymol
  • Turpentin Oil

You could just skip putting turpentine oil in your body. You could get a bottle of each of  the active ingredients mix them together and rub them on the soles or your feet, or wherever you wanted to put it. 

I do not own Camphor oil. But I do own Eucalyptus and Menthol is found in mint plants. So I will mix some eucalyptus and peppermint oil together. Put it in bathwater. Put it on the chest. The soles of the feet. With my children I have found that that horrible cough that keeps every one up all night is pretty much done if I rub them down. 


Switching gears slightly, I have also found that although peppermint tea does not calm my stomach a drop of peppermint oil in vanilla almond milk (only a drop seriously or you will be drinking an altoid) soothes my stomach much more effectively. 

There are your random tidbits for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment