Friday, September 30, 2011

Vibrato

It appears that I am in the minority on this rather insignificant issue.  But I just want to say - I don't like vibrato.

Here is the definition of vibrato if you happen to be unfamiliar with it.
Vibrato is a musical effect consisting of a regular, pulsating change of pitch. It is used to add expression to vocal and instrumental music.

To me it sounds like they are struggling to hold the pitch they are supposed to be on.

I can let it slide a bit with certain instruments, namely strings. 

 I just don't think it is a pleasant sound. Opera singers are notorious for this. I just have a hard time listening to them fluctuate. In my personal music tastes, that no one asked about, I am far more impressed with an artist who can hold a note steady for a while.

Am I alone in this?

1 comment:

  1. I don't like it either. My mom added the vibrato stop when she played the organ in church and it drove me crazy. [I'd like to hear it now though.]

    ReplyDelete