Wednesday, September 28, 2011

It finally happened

My nearly 6 year old daughter ... um.. does not mind letting you know when you are bothering her. I was holding out hope that she would make it until about 2nd grade before we started having any um... aggression issues.

Today she has been in school nearly a month.

Today she did not get to pick out of the star box. It is a sad, sad day when you can not pick a prize from the star box.

Why? Why was she unable to pick, you ask. Because she doesn't have much in the way of tolerance or peace making skills. ( I am trying folks honest.)

This is the event according to her-
N: I was coloring and this kid kept GETTING in my FACE! So I spit at him.

Spit? Really? Did you have to spit at him? I asked her to demonstrate. Luckily it was more like a defiant, rude raspberry. I am really glad there wasn't slobbery mucus glob stuck to this kids face. I am sure I would have gotten a phone call or a note about that one.

He didn't get to pick out of the star box either. (Is it bad of me to be glad about that?)

I called my husband and mentioned it. His comment?
E: Well, she made it a full month.

True. And for that I should be grateful. I was just silly thinking she could hold out a little longer.


Random note on parenting.
*Disclaimer, I am in no way an expert or probably even an example you should look to.

I do want to share one tactic that worked fairly well with her. For a while when you told her to do something she didn't want to do or an answer she didn't like she would make this horribly nasty face at you. I got fed up with said face and sent her to the corner one day. While she was there I told her " You can't come out until you throw that face in the garbage."

She thought that was hysterical and ran to the kitchen to throw the nasty face away.  Now, wouldn't it be beautiful if we hadn't seen it again since then? Too bad reality doesn't work that way. The face has made a few appearances. Cool thing is though, I just mention to her " Hey! You threw that face away!" Then she starts laughing and things calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment