Monday, January 17, 2011

Martine Luther King Jr.

Martin Luther King Jr. was a great man. He did a lot of great work. I think the world is a better place because of his influence.

Today is Martin Luther King Day. I bet you didn't even realise it. I did. Only because my son's school takes the day off.

It seems like a silly way of honoring him. What are the kids doing at home that honors his dreams?

I am celebrating Martin Luther King day by playing video games, or watching movies, or going sled riding.  

Does anyone have a cake on that day? or give each other gifts? volunteer in a soup kitchen? Anything? It seems like such a waste of a holiday. It could be so much better than it is.

 I feel like they should go to school and talk about the good things he did and think of good things the kids can do. That would be far more honorable.  Instead it is just another day to stay home. I know I never thought about why I was home when I was in school that day. I know my son hasn't mentioned anything. They talked about King before they went on vacation, but now that they are on vacation it is no longer a factor.

Martin Luther King day, a day that could be used to inspire, but isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment