Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Emergencies

I have never been in a true emergency. I plan to never be in one. I plan on sticking to my plan. However, since I am not, in fact, the ultimate voice in this universe, I will have to accept I am not actually in charge.

Instead I have decided to stick with the motto, if I am prepared I don't need to be afraid. Not only does it take a lot of the fear away, it makes me surprisingly happy when I look around at the things I have ready to go at a moments notice.

I don't have a years supply of food. I am working on it though. Every time I go grocery shopping and put the food away, I feel this little bit of peace and joy when I look at it. Same thing when I can something and put in on the shelves. It is hard to explain, but incredibly wonderful.

We were given a large gift card for Christmas. I was going to use it for food storage. It has kind of been turned into general emergency equipment money. Today it bought a very nice propane lantern and propane tanks, plus several candles and batteries. I am sure some more will go toward food, some will go to equipment.

Getting that stuff inspired me to redo my 72 hour kits.  I thought of more things that needed to be put in. I removed a few things that the children had outgrown, or that had grown itself, namely mold. I pray I never need to use this stuff. However, it is nice to know where it is and grab one bag and get out if I need to.

It is surprisingly rewarding to work on gathering food or emergency supplies. I can't fully explain, but I highly recommend it. It makes me happy, and I think it will make you too.

1 comment:

  1. My 72 hour kit mainly contains diapers. I can live through anything as long as I have them! And, it has contained diapers for a long, long time (isn't it about time to move on now--please!)!!

    I have some really good Emergency Prep info I will share the next time you come over--which we would like to be soon, since we are missing all of you!

    ReplyDelete