Saturday, January 15, 2011

1st person, 3rd person

There is a line in the movie 1776 that is spoken by Benjamin Franklin that goes something like this- "Don't you understand? It is only in 3rd person rebellion is bad. Our rebellion is good and noble. Their rebellion is treasonous."

I have found (thanks to my husband pointing out) that this concept applies in MANY different areas.

I have worked hard ( most days) to teach my children the things I want them to know and do. Some days it seems as if acting within those parameters is harder than on other occasions. "You haven't peed your pants in weeks? Why did you suddenly think that was a good idea?" Their regression is a terrible sin.

I know I shouldn't eat chocolate since it makes my skin itchy. Some days I eat it anyway. I know I will regret it later.

My regression is ok. It is not a big deal. My kids do something they shouldn't have and the world might just be coming to an end.

1st person regression, just a little slip up. 3rd person, they must be incredibly inconsiderate and lazy.


Another example:

A friend was saying a certain group of people were politically" too loud." I have had that complaint about LOTS of groups in the past. I just happened to agree with the group in question. It made me really mad that MY group wasn't allowed to be loud. That is when my husband pointed out the 1st person vs 3rd scenario.

My group has very justified and reasonable grounds for acting the way they do. Their group is just a bunch of extremists. 

Of course the people think they are justified, that they are correct in their reasoning. Otherwise they most likely wouldn't be acting the way they are. Just as you wouldn't be acting the way you are if you didn't think you were right.

I am trying harder to see things from all angles, not just mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment