Friday, January 14, 2011

Homework.

My son is in school. He reads incredibly well. We challenge his reading skills here at home and I don't worry too much about what his teacher is having him do at school. My theory is " as long as he isn't bored enough to disrupt the class, I am not too concerned." Luckily his teacher is better than that. She noticed right away that the reading in the classroom wasn't up to his level so she started sending home supplemental reading for him. He is doing very well.

He also happens to be observant. Very observant. Let me illustrate.

One Christmas we gave the kids a small trampoline. Where does one hide a trampoline? We thought we were brilliant by putting it on the floor, putting the tree on top and then spreading out the tree skirt hiding the whole thing. Christmas morning he is the first one down. Ethan and I are making breakfast. He looks at the tree. There are presents all over the place. What does he say? "What is the tree on? " With in about 7 minutes of being down stairs he has already discovered the trampoline that is covered with tree, tree skirt and presents.

While at school the other day he noticed specific children were receiving additional home work. He did not get a yellow folder. This bothered him.

So he asked if he could have one.

So now in addition to the math worksheet, the regular classroom reading and the chapter book; we also have an extra reading assignment. Seriously? Why? When he listed the children who were getting the folders I surmised that they just needed some extra support in reading. Victor does not. That is why he was not getting the extra work. So they picked out a nice book at his higher level and sent it home. 

I am grateful he does not need me to assist him with all of his homework. He better not need that much help if he is asking for extra. We'll see how he is in 7th grade. I say that with sarcasm, but deep down I hope he still loves school and working hard in 7th and11th and the rest of his time in mortality.

No comments:

Post a Comment