Friday, April 25, 2014

Let's get classical, kind of.

Does anyone else ever feel like some classical music is actually just exercises for the musicians to see how well they can play? Sometimes I can not even pick out a real melody and it really isn't even nice to listen to.
Victor was a bit leery about attending the symphony the other night. I can't say I blame him. There are some music pieces that I love so much and well... we already mentioned those I am not as fond of.

I just wanted to share with you some of our favorites from the other night.

Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare for the common man"

Camille Saint-Saens "Danse macabre"



Ralph Vaughan Williams English Folk Song Suite March "Seventeen come Sunday"

Reinhold Gliere "Russian Sailor Dance" from the ballet "The Red Poppy" ( We played this song in orchestra. I really like this one.)



Georges Bizet Suite from Carmen "Intermezzo"

Also from Carmen "Habanera"


 And of course you can't forget "Chanson Du Toreador" from Carmen. (We are big fans of Carmen around here.)

We finished up the night with Franz Liszt "Les Preludes, Symphonic poem #3"
Music can be so uplifting. I think my favorite part was sitting down and looking over the program with Victor and listening to him getting excited about pieces that he already knew and loved. Of course his first question was " Are they playing  In the Hall of the Mountain King?" No they didn't, but you can listen to it if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment