Thursday, April 3, 2014

Guess Who?

So yet again it is that time of year! General Conference! Yay!  I love this time of year, and early October because there is more General Conference. 

General conference if the time of year that the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints address the church world wide through satellite, internet etc. You can watch it this weekend if you want. I highly recommend doing so. Here is the link if you are interested. 

So to help prepare our children for conference we decided to play a game each night. A game I was going to let you join in on if you are interested.  Each night at dinner I present to them facts about a specific general authority and then they try to figure out who it is. 

Sometimes I question whether my kids actually like mom's brilliant plans. Caleb warmed my heart yesterday by reminding me at lunch time to get my questions ready for dinner time. Aw... you do care!


Here are your clues from last night's mystery person-

Who am I?


  • He was born in Salt Lake City, Utah.
  • He served as a missionary in England.
  • He is a descendant of Hyrum Smith.
  • He was sustained to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on October 6, 1985.
  • He was involved in several enterprises, including automotive, real estate, and investment businesses.
  • He was the top-selling salesman for his father’s Nash car dealership.
  • He served in the United States Army Reserve.
  • He was recruited by the Ford Motor Company to become the first Edsel car dealer for Salt Lake City. After praying for guidance, he had the "clear impression" not to sign the franchise. He did anyway and incurred a huge loss, "without doubt the darkest period" of his business career.
  •  He was in the presidency of the Valley Music Hall in Bountiful, Utah, which offered high-quality family entertainment. It later failed.
  • He married Barbara Bowen in the Salt Lake Temple.
  • They are the parents of seven children
·        His wife, Barbara, explains: “We were just ready to leave the house to go to conference. The phone rang, and it was President Hinckley, who asked my husband to come to the office. He thought he would perhaps be called on to speak in conference, since one of the speakers was ill.“We were relaxed on the way to President Hinckley’s office and discussed what my husband might talk about if called to speak. When we got to the office, President Hinckley called my husband to be an Apostle. I almost thought, ‘Please say that again. I don’t know if I heard correctly.’ 
·        In 1949, as a 21-year-old missionary, he was called as first counselor in the presidency of the British Mission.
·        He said about his wife, “I knew from the beginning that I wanted to marry her, but she didn’t share the same feelings. It was a little hard convincing her. I kid her now that getting her to agree to marry me was the greatest sales job I ever did,”
·         In college, his fraternity brothers called him “the bishop.” They knew that whatever the situation, he would be true to his faith, an example of the gospel in action.

·        “If I should choose a word to describe him, it would be teachable”. said Elder Packer.
Any guesses?

1 comment: