Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I did it!

Yesterday I accomplished a really important project. One that has needed to be done for a long time. I replaced the handle on the screen door out front. The entire time I have lived here (8 years now) the latch did not actually catch. So you could simply push the door and get through.

That is fine for adults. Great if you are carrying things and trying to get out.

This is terrible for the adult supervisors of small stubborn children with older siblings who tend to leave the wooden door open. ( That was an impressively long sentence, wasn't it?)

A while ago I purchased a new screen door handle and finally took the time yesterday to put it on the door. It took quite a while due to the fact that the catch and the handle were not close enough together to actually latch. ( I don't know what the technical terms are.) So I sawed some wood and put it up. Too big. Eventually I took the saw to a piece of plastic and got a piece that fit oh so perfectly. The door was shut. It was latched and baby was trapped inside banging on the door.

There was serious celebrating that went on. My 3 year old had taken to the habit of coming in from outside using the front door and thus was leaving it open while I was washing dishes or some such. Suddenly I would hear Naomi yelling "Phebe is outside!" This could no longer happen. I had solved the problem!

This afternoon I went to show my neighbor my exciting accomplishment.

The latch is broken. It only took aproximately 24 hrs.

I am back at square one.

I don't know where the receipt for the handle is.

I am seriously annoyed.

Seriously.

So much for a rewarding and fulfilling day.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I was just going to congratulate you! That stinks... Faulty piece of junk!

    ReplyDelete