Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Go! Diego Go!

I have pin pointed one of the many reasons why I can not stand Dora or Diego.  It is the incessant, obnoxious, never ending repetition. Yes, I know kids learn by repeating. This line of characters takes it to a new level.

I don't let my kids watch Dora or Diego. I can NOT stand it in my home. However, my daughter was told she could check out 3 books at the library. She had her heart set on Diego, so 3 Diego books came home. We read one of those books this afternoon.

The entire story is about 21 pages long. Maximum 80 words per page. This particular book was about the rescue of baby pygmy marmosets.

In 21 pages, they used the term "pygmy marmoset", I kid you not, 26 times. It isn't even something you can sneak in. Try saying "baby pygmy marmosets" more than once. Seriously, that is more than once a page!

I did not actually count it, but the book about the "maned wolf" babies was just as bad. They also have the mother speak and refere to her as "mommy maned wolf" over and over.

These books are agonizing to read. Stay far away from them. Check out some Berkley Breathed instead, maybe some Skippyjon Jones.

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Seuss is a classic because he doesn't make parents barf on their own shoes on the 10,000th rereading. It was my mom's test of true children's literature--the well written is still good after you have read/heard it over, and over, and over...

    ReplyDelete