Sunday, February 20, 2011

Facebook

I am currently debating.

I am seriously considering getting off of Facebook.
 Here are some of the pros to the system:

  • I have been able to keep in touch with cousins/ friends I can't really  spend time with due to distance.
  • I have built better friendships with loved ones and acquaintances.
  • I can keep up to date on what some of them are doing.
  • My in laws have started updating when get togethers are on that website.
  • It makes me laugh sometimes.
  • It can be a nice break.
  • I can see the pictures of what other people are doing.
Cons:
  • I find it addicting at times.
  • I feel like there is some kinda shady thing going on. With all the constant changing things and the privacy settings that you have to check on every so often.
  • It draws me into making a bigger deal out of little irritations than are reasonable.
  • I tend to be more cynical and sarcastic. ( If you have known me for a while, I have  SERIOUS sarcastic streak.) While it can be funny at times, I know it can be incredibly hurtful.
  • Looking at other people's pictures sometimes gives me this horrible feeling of envy. I have a fabulous life. I have so many great things going for me. I don't need to sit around looking at a friend's ( who I am barely friends with anyway) pictures of her fabulous vacations to distant destinations. Beautiful and childless and sunny. I get off the computer feeling terrible.
  • No matter how steadfastly I decide to limit my list I to people I really sincerely am friends with. Someone I once talked to a longtime ago, decides we are best friends and makes me feel guilty about leaving them off.  - Seriously I am not that entertaining. You aren't missing that much by not being friends with me.
  • I sometimes say things that shouldn't be said in such an open setting. I am still working on that. I am constantly amazed by how many people stumble across the things I write here and on Facebook.
Here I am considering doing what I DETEST other people doing. That being-  Keeping it around just to keep tabs on other people, but not spending as much time on it. I really dislike when people want to be my friend and then never even bother to get on.

OK, and here is where I will  get random weirdo's from Facebook who comment because the word Facebook is in this post.

What are your thoughts on Facebook?

1 comment:

  1. I was surprised to realize I find myself falling pray to the very same cons. What is it about the internet that makes me so nasty and so brave? And the envy part didn't even occur to me until now, but I admit when I see pictures of amazing vacations and loving boyfriends, I feel a little sad. It's always really hard to remember that no matter how few people you think view your personal Facebook, everything you say is practically like standing up and yelling it in the middle of a crowded, quiet room. It's all right there in black and white, and worst yet, tone doesn't translate well. Sarcasm sometimes sounds really horrible, but you still read it in the tone you meant to say it in, so messages are crossed, and stupid arguments happen. Stupid, stupid arguments...why should I care what someone on the internet thinks? It's a sickness, I swear, but it's 90% of my social life, and I like having friends.

    ReplyDelete