Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Being a mom

Some days being a mom is hard. Really hard. I am SO grateful I am not being a mom at the same time as being an employee.

My husband is awesome. He is an employee. He also has husbandly responsibilities, and fatherly responsibilities. Then there are the church things that come up too. He is amazing.

Today, I am not.

I am not anywhere up to that par.

I managed to mangle a relationship that I thought was progressing .
I yelled at my kids a few times.
I made a dinner they hated.
I sent a child to bed during dinner.
I watched my children simply ignore several of my requests.
I got snippy at them.
I did a lousy job at being a decent human being.

If I have chosen to forgo the world of the employed so that I can focus my attentions on raising my children, I feel as if I should be doing a good job.

I did not do a good job today.
I don't even know that I usually do a good job.
I feel like I am constantly ignored, "don't worry guys, we can just bounce on the trampoline until she actually starts walking toward us."

I know what my problem is. I want a quick fix. I want to start saying a certain phrase and have my children suddenly be completely obedient.

I want to end dinner without 30 complaints or comments questioning the seriousness of them having to actually EAT the food I have served; Or find 8 pieces of silverware and 3 cups on the floor after it is over.

I am discombobulated this evening. I apologise.




I supposed if we only ate shrimp fried rice, tator tots, chicken nuggets or fish sticks for dinner every night I could end the complaining from the children. I guess there is an  easy solution to that one.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know--I have two children who voice an opinion on food--and they ALWAYS choose differently (as in: Do you want option A or option B? One wants A, the other hates it and only wants B, etc.)

    However, today was a paycheck day for me, and Alex even complimented me on being a good mom--stick with it (every 12 years or so it happens!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents fed us like that, maybe like a dozen dishes and a bunch of crap. We still complained. And I'm *still* trying to acquire a taste for real food. Just keep doing what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete