Sunday, June 27, 2010

John Galt

I am currently reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I would highly recommend it. Incredibly fascinating. There is however, a 60 page monologue near the end. As a mom with 4 children 6 and under, I don't have a tremendous amount of time to sit down and really study over this speech. Thus it was a wonderful blessing to be able to drive out to Ohio to my cousins graduation party with my mom and aunt. I took my 1200 page book along and we read a big chunk of the speech. I think I got more out of that than any of the portions I have read before. I am really greatful that I had that chance and for the opportunity that I had to sit and have intelligent discussions about the content.

Now I don't want you to think that I don't get stimulating conversation very often. So here is an bit of a conversation I had with Victor who is just turned 6 yrs old.

Victor: "Mom, how do those really big ships stay on top of the water? Why don't they just sink?"
Me : "Um.. I believe it has something to do with water displacement possibly."
Victor: " Well I think it is that they go so fast over the top of the water that they can't sink."
Me: " Huh, that is an interesting idea. What happens when the boat stops at the dock."
Stunned silence. Victor :"Well, um. Maybe.... "
Me: "It's ok if you don't know."
Victor:" Yea, I just don't know."

Caleb poked me between the legs while we were standing in the hall during church and asked "That your penis?", approximately 10 times. Of course while there is a man sitting in a chair right beside us. Glad that man has children....

No comments:

Post a Comment