Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Thoughts about Kids

I think sometimes kids get a bad reputation that isn't always earned. Sometimes it is- but not always. They do do things that are aggravating, frustrating, infuriating and just plain obnoxious.

Here is an example of the frustrating: Puking toddler. Won't puke into the bowl you are holding, or the garbage can or the toilet, no no. He must shove all of that away and puke directly on his beloved blanket which will bring hysterics on when you remove from his little paws to wash.

I have been thinking lately of the things that I do love so much about my kids. In case you didn't know-my kids are awesome. This is just a sampling of things I really enjoy about them.

  • Caleb calls "Honey Bunches of Oats" - "Honey Boats".
  • They ask questions that make you stop and think.
  • They care more about if you play with them than how clean the house is.
  • They are amazed by little things like plants growing or squirrels on the power lines.
  • The black and white of the world they live in. Be on God's side- that's the only place to be.
  • You don't have to be a professional comedian to get them squealing.
  • You don't even have to be a good cook, peanut butter is good enough for nearly any meal.
  • They are awesome snugglers.
  • Dancing is a serious hobby that all need to participate in. No matter skill level.
  • Baby frowns can only be beaten by one thing in cuteness-
  • Baby giggles-
  • Followed closely by those cute baby legs constantly curled up.
  • When else could you justify putting food coloring in just about anything?
  • That look of sheer concentration when they are trying to understand.
  • The fact that I NEVER get any of the raspberries from the backyard since they eat them all before I get them.
  • I can more easily enjoy children's books. There are some really good ones out there.
  • Sometimes they are in "child mode" sometimes in "Godzilla mode". The options are limitless.
  • The socks were wet yesterday when my husband was folding them. Naomi had been a puppy digging for the socks and putting them in the basket.
  • They forgive easily and immediately.
  • Baby's toothless smiles with that tongue poking out.
  • They are impulsive.
  • They like to experience.
  • They are happy.
  • They tell the best stories.

They love me. That means so much to me.

One last thought. I think I have figured out why so often kids think adults don't have a sense of humor. Let's turn to last night when Phebe was sucking on a cracker and accidentally flung it on my lap. It was really funny. I laughed really hard. Then Caleb decided to start throwing crackers.

That is why they don't laugh as much as they could. Once is funny. More than that needs to end. That is why we can't laugh at Naomi's world class belching. She is quite impressive. But if she got any praise it would never end. There were probably many times adults wanted to laugh-but couldn't.

1 comment:

  1. I really shouldn't read more than one of your posts at a time, because they make me want to fly home and give airplane rides.

    ReplyDelete