Thursday, July 8, 2010

Reading, ever reading.

Ok this is an interactive post. Within the last few years I suddenly realised I actually LIKE reading. Took my 25 year to figure it out- but I do in fact ENJOY it. My problem is I am really picky. I feel as though my time is short and I need to learn SO much. So I was hoping you could help me out by suggesting books that have influenced the way you look at things. I want books that uplift. Books that inform. Books that will help me be a better person. Or just books with really great dialogue ( I don't care how poor the story line is, you give me witty conversations I will follow where ever you lead.)

I am currently reading "The 5000 Year Leap." It is about the miracle that took place in putting together America's government, the 28 principles that the constitution was based on and how America has helped the world leap forward in many ways. So far I have learned A LOT. ( I bought it if you want to borrow it. )

I am asking you to take the time to suggest books you think I should have in my resume. Be they classics or instruction manuals please list them if you think I would benefit from reading them.

7 comments:

  1. Right now my list consists of:
    Having our say!- by the Delaney sisters
    The Prince- by Machiavelli (we'll see if I make it through that one.)
    Patriots America
    Catcher in the Rye
    1984-George Orwell
    Poisonwood Bible-Kingsolver

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved catcher in the rye - anything by steinbeck is my fav.

    right now, I am reading "The Help" and I will have to get back to you on the author, being that I am at the computer now, and dont feel like hobbling back to my bed where the book is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn Stockett is the author of The Help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, LOVE "To Kill a Mockingbird". On my list of perfect books it is very high. Funny, moving, good characters--just wonderful. At home I have a list of my personal "canon" --the books that have made me who I am. I am pondering posting it on my blog, but haven't yet.

    I did love the Delaney sisters. My favorite is the sequel--The D.S. book of everyday wisdom. I also recommend "A Gift from the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh.

    I will send you more, but that should keep you busy for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1984 is an interesting book, I don't know if "enjoyed" is the right word for it or "uplifting" but it certainly changed my outlook on some things. I agree with steinbeck, I have been reading him lately and he just tells interesting stories.
    If you want to read aloud to your kids try the jungle book and the just so stories by Rudyard Kipling, They are entertaining for adults and imaginative fun for kids.
    Other than that I read a lot of sciand fantasy, so I don't know how much you would enjoy that. But if I run across anything else good I will let you know.
    P.S. Try poetry, especially longfellow and tennyson. I always thought poetry was boring, and then I found out that it's just cause they make you read crappy poems at school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I think the other comment from me was actually Marie posting under my login. If you want books that make you think, I really like "The Gift of Fear" and "Protecting the Gift" by Gavin de Becker. They are about how we can learn to protect ourselves by listening to our instincts and respecting the signals our body gives us. I think they are a must read, especially for women and parents ("Protecting the Gift" is about protecting our children). I will let you know if anything else comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An Open Heart by the Dalai Lama helped make me the person I am today, and played a very big part in leading me to the church. A less life changing book, but still a good story, The Giver by Lois Lowry.

    ReplyDelete