Friday, November 21, 2014

My story

I am ready to share what is going on with my lotions now. 
I have sensitive skin. I am prone to eczema and extremely dry skin. Commercial lotions leave my hands smelly, which then triggers me to sneeze. In addition they don't seem to actually heal much. I didn't want to be using steroids consistently. The price tags on more natural lotions were so much more then I was ready to pay. So in an effort to heal I turned to the internet for homemade options. One that did not contain all the ingredients I couldn't pronounce.

When you try to make lotions one of the most common ingredients is beeswax. Well I didn't have any beeswax. However, my husband did know someone that did. This very generous soul provided me with some wax. 

So a cool lady I know organizes a craft show and she invited me, probably as a customer, but I started thinking "maybe I could sell this stuff. It is pretty awesome."  

I will make a separate post for all the process of putting the product together. Here are my completed products for the craft show.


So here are the pictures of my display at the show.

 I apologize for the poor picture quality. 


 Here are the sugar scrubs.

 The Body Butter.
 Thank you Meggan Britton for the naming help. 
Yes, I know this sign isn't that awesome. I will be working on it for the next show.
 Spa salts, bath salts, whatever you want to call them. 

It appears I forgot to take a picture of the lip balm. 

So at the show I didn't do as well as I had hoped but not as bad as I had feared. I met a lot of great people.I am really glad that I went. One particular person I met was very enthusiastic about my body butter. She chatted for a bit and I thought she was talking about the honey I was selling on behalf of someone else when she said something about "consider selling it in a store."
 I said "I am sure he would love to sell it in a store."
"Well, what about you? Would you ever consider selling your things in a store?"
Me? Yes, take my bottles right now. I will pack it up for you. 

So we traded information and I emailed her later. She and another woman were opening a store in a town about 20 minutes from here. They sell gourmet jams and jellies and were looking for additional merchandise. The focus of their store if local handmade crafts.

So this week I went to meet with them.I had previously only met one member of the partnership.So as far as I knew we were just discussing further if they actually wanted to sell my stuff there. I took a box of salts, body butters, and lip balms. 
They bought it all. 
All.

There is a store near me that is selling my stuff. Stuff I have worked on is being sold in a store. How cool is that? I am so honored they found my project worthy of their store. 


Now I am working on getting ready for the next show. Here is a picture of the business cards I just ordered. 
 So exciting!

And just think, if I hadn't had a skin problem, this never would have happened. Sometimes our challenges really do turn out to be something to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment