Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Depression, compassion and hope

I have listened to this talk by Jeffery R. Holland several times now. I have teared up everytime. I have found things in it that touch my heart and comforted my soul. This talk has a strong emphasis on mental illness, particularly depression. I can't claim that I have ever been plagued by depression. However, there is so much to get from this talk no matter if you suffer or someone you know does. I had a terrible time picking out any one particular line because I find the whole thing to be so important and compassionate. Please, please take the time to listen.
You can find the text here.
I wish to speak to those who suffer from some form of mental illness or emotional disorder, whether those afflictions be slight or severe, of brief duration or persistent over a lifetime. We sense the complexity of such matters when we hear professionals speak of neuroses and psychoses, of genetic predispositions and chromosome defects, of bipolarity, paranoia, and schizophrenia. However bewildering this all may be, these afflictions are some of the realities of mortal life, and there should be no more shame in acknowledging them than in acknowledging a battle with high blood pressure or the sudden appearance of a malignant tumor.


He is technically quoting President Monson here but this quote means so much to me. -“That love never changes. … It is there for you when you are sad or happy, discouraged or hopeful. God’s love is there for you whether or not you feel you deserve [it]. It is simply always there.”


I did not have the best start to my day this morning. In fact it was pretty awful. There were many tears shed. I then spent a large portion of the day sleeping since the baby finally gave in and slept for several hours.  This quote brought me to tears thanks to my current circumstances-. Fatigue is the common enemy of us all—so slow down, rest up, replenish, and refill. Physicians promise us that if we do not take time to be well, we most assuredly will take time later on to be ill.


I was so moved by his words here.-  bear witness of that day when loved ones whom we knew to have disabilities in mortality will stand before us glorified and grand, breathtakingly perfect in body and mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment