Friday, July 12, 2013

Kids aren't that dumb

I just wanted to share a random memory from my childhood that has definitely affected the way I deal with children.

We lived in a very small duplex from the time I was 3-11 years old. The landlords lived in the other half of the duplex. They were, at least in my childhood memory,very old. The husband smoked constantly and was never the picture of health in the time we knew him. We called him Joe.

My parents decided they wanted to plant a garden and got permission from Joe. Joe thought he was brilliant for enlisting my 3 siblings and I to help remove the rocks from the soon to be garden. It was a good idea. He even offered and incentive which is also a great idea when dealing with kids. He said he would pay us each a penny for each rock we removed. I think I was 9 years old at the time.

I distinctly remember how I thought I was going to make a ton of money on this deal.

I removed 500 rocks.

Oh man, $5! This is ultra awesome since there was a store literally less than a block that sold penny candy. Think of how much candy you could have for that much!

In the end we all reported in.

Vanessa- 500
Margaret- 300
Roger-100
Alan- didn't even go near the garden.

And the grand pay out was.....

$0.25 each.

Are you serious? I might not be in college but a penny a rock for 500 rocks is not a stinking twenty-five cents. And you gave us all the same amount when we obviously did not do anywhere near equal amounts of work!

So now in my dealings with children, mine or anyone else's, I know not to ever offer a reward that I don't intend to deliver on. They aren't stupid. They will remember. And good luck getting them to do much labor for you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment