Wednesday, August 24, 2011

FISH!

So we took a little day trip to Pymatuning. My kids declared it "awesome!"

First it is required that you stop at the spillway and be disgusted and awed by what you find there.

Namely fish. Lots of fish.


No, seriously, lots of fish.



Luckily they allow, make that encourage, you to bring bread to feed the fish. My kids loved it.



From there we went to the hatchery. That is where they collect all the eggs and then grow all the fish you see here. It was mildly interesting. My kids were not ... um... thrilled with much there. OK, the giant cat fish in the tank had their attention. The process of raising fish was not enthralling to them.


Then we moved on to the nature center. If you ever go to Pymatuning, visit the nature center. It was so very nice.... and free. They have some fabulous displays of wild animals native to the area. Some of which I didn't even realise were native to the area. Most of the displays say "do not touch." We did find a bear skin lacking that label. Ethan took some awesome pictures of Phebe on my shoulders rubbing herself all over the pelt. If we didn't have a no kid picture on line policy I would gladly share it with you. She loved it.

They also have an area in the back where kids can touch things. The big draw for Phebe was... the "identify the fur" game. She was just grabbing skins and rubbing her face in them. Fox is my personal favorite.

While preparing for this trip I found out that Pymatuning has 6 bald eagle nests in it's park. When you go to the nature area you can see them, sort of. You know, if you bring binoculars. Ethan and Victor did manage to score a view though. Caleb claims he did too. I don't believe him.

I didn't realise how cool that trip would really be. I would highly recommend visiting if you have the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment