Thursday, October 31, 2013

Yawn...

So Ruby had her first really rough night. She didn't rest soundly for more than 20- 30 minutes until about 5:00 am.

At 6:45 am the alarm goes off.

My husband gets out of bed and I ask him to wake the school agers up so they can get started before I get up.

I set the alarm for 7:45. and go back to sleep.

7:30 Naomi storms in to my room, "Mom! I have my field trip today. We need to go."
Yes, my dear child at 8:45 we need to leave. Not now. For now you need to go get ready for school. So I work on getting up and I hear her chasing Phebe around demanding the location of a particular jacket.

I go clear that up and realize that Caleb is wearing pajama pants as his school outfit. The pants are cute, but those teddy bears are not being worn to school today.

Enter Phebe, wearing her coat and shoes, who has been asking to go to Marie/ Alex's house for a week now. They live a full 3 hours drive from here."So when we take everybody to school today, then we will go to Marie's house right?"

Me: No, Phebe I am not taking you to Marie's house.
Phebe: Well who is going to take me?
Me: I don't know. You are going to have to find someone else if you are going this morning.
I then leave and hear Victor educating her on why none of the people she is suggesting will work.

I go to finish getting dressed and say a prayer for patience as I am exhausted and feeling very short tempered.

Then I hear the front door open and shut.

"Guys, who just went out the front door?"
"Phebe. She is going to Marie's house."

Great, so I go running outside, not remotely ready for the day. It is dark and rainy. I see a van start to speed up realizing that I am the adult with this random preschooler who is making her way down the sidewalk and that they do not need to stop to call the police or attempt to return her to her home. Yes, she is ...um... "supervised"... honest.

Later upstairs Caleb came and hugged me. He hugged me for a long time and told me he loved me. I was on the verge of tears.

Phebe came to join in too and told me "I'm sorry for going outside. I promise I won't do it again. I love you mom."

I am so glad I am a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment