Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Cautionary Tale.

Since we all know that my blog is actually a children's book review page, I thought I would share some of my recent discoveries.





Meet Jim-

Jim is the main character in a "children's" book entitled  "A cautionary tale. Jim who ran away from his nurse and was eaten by a lion."


If you stumble upon this book in your library feel free to check it out. Sit at home, read it to yourself, admire the pictures, the fold outs, the funny little details. Do NOT however, read it to your children or allow them to look through it.

Jim does in fact run away from his nurse and yes he is eaten. The lesson is very sound. Children should learn to stay with the adult they are with. I do not think, however, the severed head was a necessary touch; nor was describing the lion starting at his toes and recounding the manner in which  it worked its way up Jim's body. It was a surprisingly terrible book for children. I do NOT recommend reading this to young kids, or allowing them to look through it.






On the other hand, there are other fabulous books out there. Here is another one we picked out on the last trip to the library.
Such a Prince

Humorous, well illustrated, entertainingly written, great moral, and a bit of a surprise ending. I thoroughly enjoyed it. So did my kids. 

Let me know if you find any fabulous, or terrible books!

No comments:

Post a Comment