Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A good mom moment

My eldest son caught onto letters, colors, numbers etc really quickly. He loved that stuff.  

His younger sister had other things to worry about. Ninjas, dirt and hideouts were far more pressing. So she did not have near the grasp on basics when she left for kindergarten.

So my third child will be entering kindergarten next year. I am trying to do a better job for him than I did for his elder sister. In an effort to teach him without confining him to a chair I have come up with a little thing I think of highly.

I wrote the alphabet out, one letter per page. Then I had my youngest two help me tape the letters up in order along the stairwell.  It was the only place I could find with enough wall space for the whole thing.  Though I hadn't fully realized how perfect it would be there. Now when we walk up we sing the song pointing to the corresponding letter.

I admit it is a bit cluttered looking. I am also surprised that none have been shredded yet. But the day we put them up I had never seen my four year old so excited so even if it they get destroyed that one day was worth it.

My kids love it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. It reminded me that I need to put letters up my stairs!

    ReplyDelete