Thursday, April 12, 2012

My "princess" AKA the "Leprechaun enslaver"

Naomi has quite a bit going on in her world right now. I thought I should take a moment to let you know what it is like to live with her currently.

Reading. For a while her teacher told me "She just isn't, um, trying very hard." That's cause she is an all or nothing kind of girl and right now reading is at nothing level. However the switch has finally flipped and she thinks reading is awesome and is figuring things out on her own. I sincerely believe that the ability to learn is so over looked. The fact that my children are able to learn and progress I think of as a tremendous blessing. I am so excited for her.

There is a field trip coming up. She must be at school early.
N: My teacher says we have to be there early. I have to wake up at 3.
Me: 3? As in 3 in the morning?
N: Yes! It is really important that I get up at 3 so I can go on the field trip.
Me: I see...
It honestly isn't worth persuading her she is mistaken about 80% of the time. She doesn't even have a clock in her room or know how to tell time so I have no fear of her actually waking up at 3.Especially since getting her up for school on a normal day is challenging enough.

She also spent nap time duct taping two boards together to make herself a skateboard. Let me just tell you that is not a quiet activity.

Oh, I think I have forgotten to mention- there is no tape or paper safe from this child. I was out of tape for a while due to a serious need to make "Leprechaun traps". Sometimes I am tempted to get rid of some of our art materials. But then I realise that Naomi doesn't play with toys. She likes making things. Who am I to say toys are of value but paper and tape are not? So the over abundance of paper and small quantity of tape will stay.

I love her. I love her drive and passion and creativity. I'm glad I have her. The rest of you can have visiting hours with her.

1 comment:

  1. Also, walk down the aisle at your local Stuff-Mart, and price toys vs. tape. You have a winner! You can buy a WHOLE LOT of tape (all types!) for the price of one Barbie, who will just end up naked (and possibly headless)!

    ReplyDelete