Friday, January 22, 2010

Today's thoughts.

Lately these are some of the thoughts that have been floating around in my head.

I have found some insanely wonderful music that I would love for you to love with me. Maybe enough of us love him he will come to the US. His name is Maksim Mrvica. He is a Croatian pianist. He makes me wish I had practiced more when I was learning how to play piano.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DKBKZ8Cxeo

As I have come across what is some really good classical music lately, I sometimes stop and think about why I don't like so much of it. I wonder if it is just me or if other share my opinion. Frequently when I listen, a lot of pieces sound to me like exercises for violinists or harpsichordists. Not real music. Just seeing how many random notes can be put together to challenge the musician. There is lots of beautiful classical. Those happen to be the ones with a real melody.

Another thing on my mind is how incredibly awesome some children's books are. There are some really amazing authors out there. Next time you are in a library or book store look for the Little Critter book by Mercer Mayer entitled "I was just so Mad." He is so good at capturing children. There is also a relatively new author named Judith Byron Schachner, her books are called "Skippyjon Jones." They are hysterical. Her charactor is a siamese kitten who is convinced he is a chihuahua. He has a fabulous imagination. Her books are littered with Spanish vocabulary words. I HATE Dora. This however makes it so fun to learn a Spanish word here or there. http://www.skippyjonjones.com/ Such fun books.

This is the less exciting thought that keeps going through my head. When we are raising children we teach them to say sorry when they do something wrong. Saying sorry is a good thing to do; however it seems hypocritical, to me, to force them to say sorry when they are obviously not. I have told Naomi to quit doing something for the 500,000th time and she looks at me and nonchalantly goes, "Sorry mom" . She has said sorry ever other 499,999 times. Obiviously it isn't something she is sorry for doing. I feel as though having them say sorry when they don't mean it seems to take away from the meaning of the word and thus they use it flipantly. Maybe it is just my kids. It just seems wrong when they are standing there grinning at thier accomplishment to tell them to apologize. I will take them aside and discuss why it was wrong and try to figure out how to fix it. Don't get me wrong my kids do get disciplin. I just want Sorry to mean something.

I also want you to know that I made pizza dough with two little helpers. That meant that food coloring was needed. Yup, we had green crust pizza for dinner tonight. I bet your jealous.

3 comments:

  1. i remember when mom used to do that with us when we were little - with the pizza dough. fun times!

    I agree with the 'sorry' issue. Josie is already saying it. Don't tell me that a almost 3 year old really knows what that means. we do a lot of 'fixing' at our house too. trust me, it's not just your kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will love him with you! If he comes, he better come somewhere in the middle between us though, because Ken might throw a fit if I want to go to PA for a concert.

    Have you ever heard of Celtic Thunder? YouTube them...they are awesome also. They don't give me a headache AND they're family friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie has loved Maksim for a LONG time (I introduced her to his music). Her favs are "Nostradamus" and another one I can't remember at the moment, and my favs are "Somewhere in time" and "Exodus".

    ReplyDelete