Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My calling in life.

A few months ago I was busy agonizing over what it is that I would like to study. My husband laughs at me when I say I am not a particularly passionate person but I seriously couldn't think of any field that interested me enough to actually study. There are lots of things I would like to just suddenly know. Physics would be cool, but I am not going to spend hours studying it. Astronomy cool to know, not going to spend my time trying to figure it out.

My local college sends out a catalogue of non credit courses they offer. Last time I took a class on making pies. That was kinda neat. Now I feel like I can make really good pies, without tons of effort. I sit there and stare at the list of classes thinking "I could take that one, and that one, this one would be neat, oh look at this one." However due to funds, kids and only one car I am only going to take one at a time. I found my class. I am so ridiculously excited! There was a cardio kickboxing class I was pretty sold on, but this one just feels so right.

"Grow your own seasonings/ Grow your own medicine."
In this class we are going to talk about:
  • which seasonings go with which kind of dishes
  • learn to grow, harvest and preserve herbs
  • make " Herb de Provence" ( I haven't the faintest idea what that is.) Herbal vinegar and herbal butter
  • become familiar with herbs to grow or buy to make simple medicines
  • see, touch and smell medicinal herbs and learn how they have been safely used for hundreds of years.
  • Hands on demos and projects making "tinctures" ( Don't know what that is either, but I am excited),teas, salves and poultices

We even get a "light herbal snack". Whatever that will be. Sadly it is only two nights long. But I am pumped!

This is it. I have found it. I want to know plants. I want to know how to USE plants. I want a monstrously large garden where I can put food away for later. I want to make my own medicines. ( Safely yes, I am not just stopping dealing with Dr's) I am so sad that this doesn't start until May. That seems so far away! I am such a nerd.

So to sum it up, my life is

  • God
  • husband
  • kids
  • extended family
  • serving people
  • being self reliant, by knowing plants and how to use them.

Someday you will all come to me needing my help. And since I like people I'll help you.

4 comments:

  1. Herb de Provence are dried herbs for cooking. Put together in a mixture. Like Essence of Emeril. You probably do this already but don't know it!

    And a tincture, so I learned from Wikipedia, is an alcoholic extract from plants! Cool... You're going to be making moonshine in your kitchen (not really...!)

    Have fun! I'm so proud of you for finding something that really excites you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to take that class! Teach me what you learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you find out this is something you totally love then you could look into becoming a Master Herbalist. That is what my friend Heidi is studying and she is my go-to girl on all home remedies. I know they have a home study course, so it might be more doable with the chilluns. Let me know if you want more info. That class sounds totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear friend (who was the Bishop's wife at the time) had a large bottle of vodka in her bathroom linen cabinet for making tinctures. One day I teased her about it, and she said "yeah, it was pretty embarrassing the day I went into the state liquor store to buy vodka and ran into one of the ladies from Relief Society buying her liquor there!"

    Also, a long time ago, I had an eyedropper bottle of echinacea tincture, and gave everyone in my family a squirt. The kids HATED it, but hubby said "That's GOOD--that's made with Jim Beam!---can I have some more?" To which I responded--"this is $14 for an eyedropperful--if you want Jim Beam go buy that--it's cheaper!" (FYI, Jim Beam is a pretty high quality Bourbon Whiskey--I just looked it up! I knew it was alcohol, just didn't have all of my details!)

    I am wondering what I have a passion for, too. Still no spark. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete