Wednesday, February 20, 2013

My dream garden

I have a tiny little yard. Seriously. I know technically there are yards smaller....

My parents were very dutiful about gardening every year. They "taught" their (unwilling) children how to work in the garden. I thought it was stupid. Weeding? What a waste of time. Since moving out on my own I have found that I actually really enjoy gardening. I can't claim to be fantastic at it, but I do find pleasure in it.

Right now I have 2 blueberry bushes just in the establishing phase. One has yet to produce anything but leaves. The other has produced a few berries that always seem to go missing before I ever taste them....




 I grow garlic and chives and green onions and oregano

We have golden raspberries and red raspberries. We have a beautiful (and small) strawberry patch. We had a ton of strawberries last year. I was so impressed. (Random fact, mulch strawberries with pine needles, you get more and sweeter berries.)

Spearmint and chocolate mint. Rosemary and parsley. I am hoping my stevia plant comes back this year. (I am trying to make sure my children do not figure out which plant has leaves that taste like sugar.)

I love plants.I love growing things. I love harvesting them and knowing that I saved my family money on groceries and knowing how fresh they really are. I love my kids eating berries right off the plant or peas right off the vine.

I am contemplating starting an asparagus patch this year. My family likes to eat asparagus regularly, but man is it expensive.

So I decided to make a list of what my dream garden would include.

I want a passion fruit vine.
I want a peach tree and an apple tree.
I want a yummy grape vine.(note yummy, not the kind with tough skin, seeds and flesh the consistency of mucus.)
I want to grow lemons and elderberries.
I want to have a nice patch of comfrey and basil (especially thai/ cinnamon basil, put that in tomato soup- amazing)
Cherries! Wouldn't that be awesome to have cherries in your own yard!

All this is just in addition to a normal garden with peas and tomatoes and all that standard stuff. I would probably be able to get away with a lot of this if I didn't need to leave room for my children to play, room for plants to get big, or worry about enough sunlight.

I would have a beautiful herb patch and fresh lettuce (that tastes good. I have yet to master good flavor. Mine is bitter most of the time, any suggestions?)

I love plants. Maybe I will get a growing light someday and have fresh stuff all year long. Those are some of my silly dreams. What are you going to plant this year?

4 comments:

  1. This is the year I am planting a dwarf nectarine and dwarf cherry (and maybe an apple) tree! I am in the middle of making an actual yard plan, in the hopes of getting around to DOING something with it! I am looking into "lasagna gardening" because I am all about the lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I would love something like avacados too and oranges if I lived somewhere warmer. I will have to check into lasagna gardening. Could you imagine a tree in the very center of my yard? It just wouldn't end well. I am excited for you and all your space. You could, if you had no other obligations, have a truly amazing food growing space. I still can't say I am pro-weeding. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was going to try tomatillos this year - and less tomatoes. tomatoes are one thing that I can NOT kill. Everything else just dies. (minus the mint. that takes over) I am envious of your space to plant in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea that passion fruit grows on a vine. They are delicious though, so if you can grow one you definitely should!

    ReplyDelete