Monday, December 31, 2012

Ramblings

Thoughts and happenings from around here.



  • Phebe is impressively 3. I am impressed that she lived to 3 years old and is filling the role of the 3 year old very well. Probably better than many 3 year olds around her.
  • We are attempting to learn sign language. I am impressed by how loud sign language can become at the dinner table.
  • My husband and I are going on a trip to Rhode Island at the end of January. Let's hope the weather isn't horrific. I will get to wear some of my fun dress up clothes, like the beautiful black corset Ethan got for me for Christmas. 
  • My brother and his friend decided that Naomi should take MMA  (Mixed Martial Arts). I think that could be pretty awesome. I just need a sponsor and chauffeur for her. I am not ready to invest that much money or car time for my 7 year old.
  • I got essential oils for Christmas! I now have peppermint, patchouli, rosemary and eucalyptus oil.   I am enjoying using them. Plus I just found out that if you mix some oils with epsom salts you can make bath salts. (The good kind....) 
  •  It has finally snowed. I am satisfied. We can move on to spring now. Yes, I know we haven't even technically started January yet, but I have had my snow fill.
  • I am reading a book about learning through play, the Montessori way. Some lovely theories, but man this book is dull. 
  • I also tried listening to "White Fang", by Jack London on CD. Yeah, don't think I am going to make it through the book. Can't say I really see a point. I am 3 discs in. It's not as if I didn't give it a good shot.
  • Finished listening to "Quiet" by Susan Cain. It was totally fantastic. I highly recommend reading this book. Introvert, extrovert you will benefit.
  • Also finished listening to "Patriotic Treason, John Brown and the soul of America"by Evan Carton.Front Cover John Brown was the man who attacked Harper's Ferry before the Civil War. This book changed my vision of him and the times significantly. 
  • Now I am just listening to "Northanger Abbey" by Jane Austin. I like her.
  • I now have my very own copy of "Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Suess. That makes me happy.I love that book.
  • Caleb requested the same present this year for Christmas that we gave to him last year. He loves it.
  • I am working on my list of things to put in stockings. Right now my list consists of -A good pair of gloves, band aids, toothbrushes, tape. Possibly some really good thick socks for sled riding. Useful and fun. I am open to suggestions. 
There is my randomness of the moment.

3 comments:

  1. I fill my stockings with little toys from the party section like silly putty, or army men, then about 2 pounds of candy. Are you planning for next year's stocking already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put in 3 toothbrushes, because everybody needs one upstairs and one downstairs and one for traveling! I also put in the breakfast food we never buy (like poptarts) because I don't want to cook on Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We give toothbrushes, toothpaste, chocolate gold coins, silly string, chap stick, cold stone gift cards, crayons, water color paints, and pop tarts (like Marie)and something different that interests each child. This year, Anna got princess stuff, Matthew got glow in the dark stars to decorate his room and Nicole got a case for her kindle.

    ReplyDelete