Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Breaking News

There was a shooting at a school in Connecticut. That is very sad.  I kind of avoided reading much about the shooting. This shooting, any shootings, I don't want to read about. I don't like people being hurt. I don't like reading how angry people get about it, or how glamorized it is in the media. (Do the people in media realize how much worse they make these things? Really, constant coverage of children DYING? How that just makes the next disturbed person have a new high score to reach?)

So I read the comments on Facebook. The people who are for armed guards in school. The people who are against it.

Someone commented that "When you pick up the sword, you become the target." I agree with the comment made in response, "Those children didn't have swords, yet they were the targets."

Does it not seem curious that these things happen so often where there is no one there who can be armed? They happen against those who can in no way protect themselves. I saw the idea thrown out that staff should be trained and allowed to carry, not required to carry. Thus it is a guessing game about if that teacher is armed or not. I am completely comfortable with that concept.

It would be beautiful to live in a place where that isn't even an issue. But the longer I live, the longer I realize "Should" and "Reality" are not synonymous.

I received a phone call from our school superintendent on Sunday. It was the only recorded phone call I have ever actually paid attention to. Starting the very next day, Monday, and everyday from now on, the guards at school with be armed. My little elementary school children, the junior high and high school kids, all under armed guards from now on.

I have been going through metal detectors at school since 9th grade. That was the year of Columbine. Everyday from 9th -12th, through the metal detector.

Everyday my kids have gone to school they have dealt with a metal detector. (Though the little kids get to walk around it. I guess they aren't dangerous.)

I am glad that my school takes safety so seriously. Seriously, they are trying really hard. I am impressed that they had the spine to make a decision like that. I am glad that they are willing to give the guards the ability to fulfill the job they were hired to do.

I do wonder deep down though, is it healthy for little kids to walk through metal detectors and have armed guards on a daily basis? Does that rob the innocence of a happy childhood. Knowing that they are trying to protect you? Protection from what? There are people that want to kill children? It is a sad conversation to have. I just end up saying "you're that precious that they are trying this hard."

No comments:

Post a Comment