Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lessons learned

 

I hope you aren't tired of children's books yet. I keep reading them so, if you keep reading this blog you will keep hearing about my favorites.

Today's feature was copy righted back in 1971. The pictures certainly look a bit date, but I really like the style.  Let me introduce you to "The Wizard of Wallaby Wallow" by Jack Kent.


This is the story of a mouse who wants to be anything but a mouse. He visits the wizard who hands him an unlabled bottle that will change him into an unspecified animal. The more he ponders the more he realizes that being a mouse has problems, but he knows how to deal with them and wouldn't really want to tackle a new set of issues stemming from the transformation to an undecided form.

The book ends with everyone purchasing bottles without lables. When you feel down just look at that bottle on the shelf and think about what you could be and the problems that accompany that. Then you will feel better about the things you deal with.

I find this book to be so sweet, so touching, and so completely uplifting. It is a great book for gaining persepctive. If you ever come across a copy, make sure you add it to your collection.

1 comment:

  1. I think he also wrote a book called, "Just John" or something like along those lines that I loved as a child. I don't even remember the plot, but I think a little boy turns into whatever people call him, i.e. when his mom addresses him as "her little lamb". I should see if our library has it...

    ReplyDelete