Thursday, November 10, 2011

A few more books

I got a book on CD out of the library. It was 16 discs long. Last night I listened up to disc # 6. Sorry, I will never finish "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Hemmingway. My mom had previously described his writings as a list of where they went and what they drank. She wasn't too far off. This one has way more violence and sex than I had anticipated and I felt very uncomfortable listening to the things he was describing.

 Don't bother reading it. I don't know if the movie is any good. I can tell you the first 1/3 of the book isn't worth the effort. ( And this is from someone who was just listening while knitting!) Here I will take to heart the words of wisdom my librarian shared with me. " Life is too short to waste time reading books you don't like." She is a wise woman.

I do have some books I think you will enjoy.

First up- "Because of Winn Dixie" by Kate DiCamillo. It is a chapter book. Great for adults, will take a few nights to read with kids. But those few nights would be well worth it.

When I finished reading it, I read it to my 5 year old. We both really enjoyed it. I can not say that I have suffered as many of the people in this book have, but it brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart nonetheless. It is insightful and sweet no matter the age of the reader.

This is also the same author that brought you  "the Tale of Despereaux."

My second recommendation is called - "Where's the Dragon?" written by Jason Hook, illustrated by Richard Hook.

Where's the Dragon?
It is so incredibly delightful. It has embossing on each page, making it delightful to just run your hands across the page to help find all the hidden dragons. The story is entertaining, the illustrations fantastic. I think this would make a fantastic Christmas gift. I sat down the book by myself to see how many dragons I could find. I enjoyed all the imagination that has been put into this book. It is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment